Monday, April 05, 2010

Mural

digital

Above is an image I was commissioned to do for a mural in NYC. An awesome couple are having their first new born and decided they wanted to give their little guy a safari in his room. I jumped at the opportunity and tried a picture book style, which in this case worked well (i thought) for the wall... I also tried tying all the characters together in a 'moment' under a tree in the safari somewhere...

1. projecting the design and tracing it onto the wall

2. prepping... i have to thank bobby and vinnie for suggesting pre-mixed paints. you guys saved my life.

3. filling in...



and more filling in (thanks for the help babes!)

4. the line and detail came next. this took a while. if you look closely i re-drew most of it a second time, with white chalk...just to make sure my scale and relationships weren't gettin' crazy.

fin!

one of my favorite details.

27 comments:

Michael Yates said...

you sir are awesome

Lisa Tao said...

awesomeee! i would want that on my wall too!

Scribbler said...

class

Unknown said...

Dang...that turned out nice.

Mike Lee said...

Oh SnAp! Great Job Willito!

Haylee said...

That's going to be one lucky baby!

George Cwirko-Godycki said...

so awesome

Bobby Pontillas said...

Super nice Willie! The picture book style suits you well and I'm amazed at how faithful the mural came out to the original. If I was more ambitious I'd paint the giant green wall behind me and Joe at work.

RAWLS said...

That's great man!!!

Aaron Wilkin said...

Very cool man!!!!! I used to paint murals for a while, but I never thought to project the image on the wall.....how did you do it? Or what did you use to do it?

Kendra Melton said...

Aw, so AWESOME!

Luispa Salmon said...

wow...beautiful willy

Ryan Carpentier said...

Your animals are awesome, as is the rest of the composition. Great style!

Huck said...

I could look at your work all day man. You've got a great style!

francisvallejo said...

damn, i want this in my room!

paac said...

Great job! That came out really well.

shamil said...

nice wrk n lines tu

willie real said...

thanks guys and gals! I had a great time doing this mural...it's funny when I finished the digital version I wondered if I had bitten off too much. Transferring it to the wall was a bit nerve racking but an opaque projector helped tremendously. that and the help of a wonderful partner in crime who helped fill stuff in and choosing the right colors. It took about 3 full days...tracing, filling in, painting the details etc. keeping the colors flat was the way to go...i cant imagine painting a fully rendered and lit mural. crazy.

Gerald Guerlais said...

It's really awesome Willie ! I love it !

Owen Flanagan said...

Lovely painting Willie,The line work is fantastic.

Unknown said...

this is great. i can't get over how i'm always mesmerized by your style. it never gets boring. there's so much life in your little characters.

Arthur Fong said...

YIKES!! THIS IS SUPER UBER WONDERFUL! Unbelievable Willie... you've done it again!

Gillian Comerford said...

lucky kid...looks amazing :)

Richard Gaines said...

I absolutely love your details atop basic shapes! Your style translates wonderfully.

Casey said...

Talk about inspiring! I'll have to paint a mural someday.

Filip said...

What kind of paint did you use?

Leyo said...

I really impressed and enjoy reading this. Thanks for posting like this.Good job.lit mural